2017 Personal Property Renditions, Wyandotte County
The Wyandotte County Appraiser's Office will be mailing the Personal Property Renditions (Property Worksheets) the first week of January 2017. Kansas law states that every person who owns or holds tangible personal property subject to taxation must list that property with the County Appraiser of the county where such property is located on January 1st.
Types of Personal Property that should be listed:
- Flatbed and enclosed trailers
- Horse and stock trailers
- ATV's, golf carts, mopeds, off road motorcycles, snowmobiles, race cars
- Camping trailers not registered as recreational vehicles
- Non-highway motor vehicles
- Non-commercial trucks whose tag weight is 16,000 or higher
- Manufactured homes
- Commercial Machinery and Equipment acquired prior to June 30, 2006.
The completed renditions must be returned to the Wyandotte County Appraiser's Office no later than March 15, 2017 to avoid filing penalties. Late filing penalties will accrue at a rate of 5% monthly with a maximum penalty rate of 50% for failure to file.
Notice to all boat owners: Watercraft should be listed in the taxing district in which it is located on January 1, unless it is in transit; it shall then be listed in the taxing district where the owner resides (K.S.A. 79-304). Property in transit includes watercraft located outside the State of Kansas on January 1, if such watercraft is covered by the federally approved numbering system administered by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks.
Commercial Vehicles/Commercial Trailers: Beginning January 1, 2014, HB 2557 eliminated the ad-valorem property taxes collected on commercial vehicles and commercial trailers. In addition to the current registration fee, a Commercial Vehicle Fee will be collected based on the registered weight of the vehicle through the Motor Vehicle Department.
House Bill 2557 defines a commercial vehicle as a self-propelled or towed motor vehicle engaged in commerce that is used to transport property or passengers when the vehicle:
- has a gross weight or gross combination weight of 10, 001 pounds or more;
- is designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers, including the driver; or
- is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding
If you own personal property and did not receive a form or have any questions with regard to your reporting responsibilities, please contact the Wyandotte County Personal Property Department at 573-8400 or visit our website at www.wycokck.org/appraiser.