2019 Unified Government Budget Approved

From the Unified Government's Relations Director:
 
The Unified Government Board of Commissioners has approved a 2019 budget which cuts property taxes by 5% for KCK home and business owners.
 
That’s on top of an 8.8% reduction over the last two years for a total property tax cut of nearly 14% since 2017. At the time of consolidation in 1996, the owner of a $100,000 house paid $1,116 in city/county property tax. More than 20 years later in 2019, the owner of a $100,000 house will pay $884 in UG property tax. That’s a reduction of $232, or nearly 21% less in property taxes since the Unified Government was formed.
 
“So much good is being accomplished by our staff and employees and I believe we have allocated our limited resources well,” said Mayor David Alvey.
 
The budget moves the KCK property tax rate from 40 mills to 38 mills. KCK ranks 13th out of the 25 largest cities in Kansas, meaning 12 of those cities have higher property taxes than KCK. In 1997, KCK had the highest tax rate of the state’s biggest cities. The Wyandotte County property tax rate is 95th out 105 counties, meaning 94 Kansas counties have a higher tax rate. For a majority of KCK residents, the UG property tax is less than half the total tax bill at 47%. Public schools, the KCK Community College and State of Kansas make up the other 53%.
 
This budget uses $6.2-million of the $12.4-million in paid-off STAR Bond sales tax revenues from the Village West Tourism District for property tax relief, $4.2-million for capital construction projects, and $2.0-million for new program initiatives. The STAR Bond sales tax revenues allow the Unified Government to increase public safety spending, launch the SOAR blight reduction effort, increase street and road maintenance, and enhance other community services.
 
The 2019 Unified Government Budget totals $376-million with more than half of the budget designated for public safety. The budget funds Police, Fire, Sheriff, courts, parks and recreation, health services, wastewater, and general government functions, as well as improvements to roads and public facilities. The budget includes a 2% cost of living adjustment for most UG employees with a 3% increase for Police and Sheriff personnel.
 
The 2019 Budget is built on the Strategic Plan and Goals set by the Unified Government Commission as determined through retreats, a survey of thousands of Wyandotte County residents and operational studies. For complete details on the 2019 Proposed Unified Government Budget go to www.wycokck.org.