Healthy Lifestyles Initiative Coordinator, Healthy Communities Wyandotte
*** This position is funded through AmeriCorps VISTA, a national anti-poverty service program. There is no traditional pay, but participants receive a living allowance and limited benefits (see details below). The successful applicant will serve a one-year term in Wyandotte County, KS working to increase knowledge of healthy lifestyle behaviors. ***
DESCRIPTION The obesity epidemic presents an unprecedented economic and health burden to Wyandotte County. The Healthy Lifestyle Initiative (HLI) was designed to increase individuals practicing healthy lifestyles in the Kansas City area. Healthy Communities Wyandotte (HCW) is a community coalition based in the Wyandotte County Health Department working to improve community health in the county. HCW partnered with Children’s Mercy Hospital in 2014 to launch the Healthy Lifestyles Initiative in Wyandotte County. HCW is working to spread the 12345 Fit-Tastic! healthy lifestyles message and grow a network of multi-sector partners who are committed to make policy and environment changes to improve the health of those they serve. The project is now in its third year and has made great inroads into schools, clinics, and other human service agencies. Many of these partners need continued technical assistance as they work to create healthier environments in their organizations and in the community. This position is a one-year commitment through the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
- Coordinate community outreach to spread the 12345 Fit-Tastic! message.
- Engage new partners across sectors to participate in the Healthy Lifestyles Initiative.
- Provide technical assistance to partner organizations who adopt the Healthy Lifestyles Initiative (how to implement changes supporting the 5 healthy behaviors in the message within their organizations and/or to their client population).
- Bachelor's degree
- Ability to work well as a team and with diverse partners and communities
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Commitment to improving community health throughout Wyandotte County
- Knowledge of public health
- Knowledge of fundraising/grant writing
- Spanish language proficiency/fluency
- Full time. Some evenings and weekends required.
PAY & BENEFITS VISTA members do not get paid, but receive a modest, monthly living allowance to help cover basic necessities (roughly $900/month). VISTA members who successfully complete a term of service are also eligible to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 to pay for college or to pay off student loans, or an end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500. Additional benefits include training, limited health care benefits, relocation expenses, student loan forbearance or deferment and non-competitive eligibility for a federal government position. You may also be eligible for childcare assistance should you need it.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS Application deadline is September 30, 2016. Please send a resume and cover letter to