Job Alert: Bilingual Education and Outreach Coordinator - PPKM
(Wyandotte County, KS)
The Bilingual Education and Outreach Coordinator is responsible for conducting educational programs and related activities designed to provide community members with comprehensive sexuality education and serve as a community resource on sexuality and reproductive health. The Bilingual Education and Outreach Coordinator develops and maintains key community relationships and acts as a community liaison to schools, nonprofit agencies, community groups, religious organizations, volunteers, and donors. All services will be performed in English and Spanish.
Responsibilities of the Bilingual Education and Outreach Coordinator Conducts sex education programs in English and Spanish in schools and other community organizations tailored to meet the needs of each audience.
- Coordinates outreach and develops and maintains partnerships with Latino community agencies to promote PPKM’s health and educational services.
- Represents PPKM in the community, including at health fairs, schools, colleges and community events.
- Participates in health/sexuality-related committees and coalitions as requested.
- Acts as a resource person, providing assistance to individuals seeking information and services related to sexuality and sexual health.
- Provides education to community about PPKM’s health services and builds strong community relationships in order to increase patient volume at health centers.
- Maintains program records and produces monthly reports on program activities, accomplishments and challenges including program statistics, evaluation and demographic data.
- Tailors program content and delivery, when necessary, to the objectives of the organizations and needs of program participants.
- Works with education team to design, select, and update instructional materials for use in education and training programs.
- Keeps current on sexuality and reproductive health information through trainings, workshops, professional associations, and outreach.
- Conducts community outreach and educational sessions utilizing social media and other technologies.
- Provides support as needed for PPKM’s Development activities including support for local fundraising events, preparing and researching grant proposals and developing and enhancing donor relationships.
- Manages and assists in the training, placement and supervision of PPKM volunteers.
- Collaborates effectively with the Public Affairs/Communications, Education, Development and Health Services teams on joint projects and annual campaigns.
Experience and Qualifications Although it is unlikely that any one individual will bring all of the qualifications and experiences listed below, the successful candidate will have many of the following attributes:
Bachelor’s Degree in education, communications, human service, or related field required. One to three years related experience and/or training in advocacy/organizing work or related area; or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Bilingual fluency in written and oral Spanish/English is required.
- Possess excellent reading and comprehension skills.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and ability to work independently within a fast paced environment.
- Adhere to PPKM’s non-discrimination policies. Effectively interact with co-workers and patients with diverse ethnic backgrounds, religious views, political affiliations, cultural backgrounds, lifestyles and sexual orientations and treat individuals with respect and dignity.
- Effectively present information in English and Spanish to groups and individuals through verbal and written formats.
- Demonstrate proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Email.
- Be detailed with ability to assume responsibility and effectively prioritize multiple duties.
- Effectively work as part of a team, creating collaborative relations with others.
- Possess ability to work in a fast paced office environment and maintain a professional posture.
- Travel to all parts of the facility and throughout the community.
- Effectively support and carry out PPKM’s mission.
Language Skills Ability to effectively present information in English and Spanish, and respond to questions from staff, managers, clinicians, patients, and the general public.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move materials that may weigh up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed inside and outside the facility and throughout the metropolitan area.
- Evening and weekend availability is required.
- Use of hands and fingers involved in work which is preformed through the extensive use of computer systems, email, phone and fax machines, copiers and scanners.
- Handwritten paperwork may be performed.
- Employee is required to sit for extended periods with prolonged exposure to computer monitors.
- Must operate various input/output devices including keyboard and computer mouse.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- A cubicle within a larger work environment will define workspace.
- This position carries some level of exposure to conflict and/or antagonism by those opposed to the mission of PPKM.
Application Process Submit your cover letter, resume and current salary or salary requirements to Sarah Aanestad. Only those candidates including a cover letter with salary information will be considered for this position.
The Work of PPKM The Bilingual Education and Outreach Coordinator joins PPKM at a pivotal point in its 80-year history. With the recent Board approval of its 2015-2019 Strategic Plan, PPKM is poised to expand and revitalize its health center footprint in Kansas and the Mid-Missouri region, and reinvigorate its education, outreach, and advocacy initiatives to educate a new generation of reproductive health and rights supporters and to promote greater access to affordable contraception, preventive treatment, safe abortion, and other critical reproductive health services.
As an affiliate of, and accredited by, the Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), PPKM operates seven high-quality health centers throughout the Kansas and Mid-Missouri area, with a centralized call center and online appointment scheduling. PPKM serves people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse needs. PPKM currently provides reproductive health services in the Kansas City metro area; Wichita, Kansas; and Columbia, Missouri. The medical staff includes a board certified OB/GYN physician who provides abortion services, as well as nurse practitioners. PPKM’s nurse practitioners collaborate with physicians to provide reproductive health care, perform examinations, and diagnose and treat infections. PPKM receives Title X funding in Missouri and accepts Medicaid and private insurance in both Missouri and Kansas.
PPKM provides comprehensive, age-appropriate sexuality education to more than 10,000 participants each year. Our education programs promote responsible behavior and honest communication with peers, parents, and adults. Teens are given information about how to deal with social pressure and are given medically accurate information about contraception. Programs offer a variety of interactive sexuality education presentations to schools, churches, and community groups on a broad range of topics.
PPKM is a leading advocate for the reproductive rights of women and men in Kansas and Missouri, working tirelessly to block legislation that restricts access to sex education, contraceptives, and abortion. To conduct more in-depth advocacy efforts, PPKM created the Planned Parenthood Advocates of Kansas and Mid-Missouri (PPAKM), a sister corporation of PPKM organized under IRS Section 501©4. This classification allows PPAKM to engage in political activities and make additional lobbying expenditures that would not be allowed under PPKM’s 501©3 tax status. PPAKM maintains professional lobbying programs in Topeka and Jefferson City; monitors federal, state, and local legislation and analyzes its effects on PPKM and our clients; informs supporters about proposed legislation and encourages contact with their legislators; and recruits, trains, and supports volunteers to work in a variety of advocacy roles.