Job Alert: Seasonal Certified Application Counselor
Job Description: Certified Application Counselors (CACs) play a key role in helping consumers prepare electronic and paper applications to establish eligibility and enroll in coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. This includes helping consumers find out if they qualify for insurance affordability programs (including a premium tax credit, cost sharing reductions, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program), and to enroll when eligible. CACs provide outreach and education to raise awareness about the Health Insurance Marketplace. Also, when necessary they will refer consumers to ombudsmen and other consumer assistance programs. Supervision: Reports directly to the site manager and overseen by Project Manager.
Working Conditions: Work requires an interdependent relationship with Community Health Council staff and with external organizations involved in performing enrollment assistance for the Health Insurance Marketplace. Work includes independent professional interaction with varied individuals and organizations involved in outreach and enrollment activities associated with the Insurance Marketplace.
- Complete the federal Certified Application Counselor training program and pass certification exam.
- Assist individuals in the KC Metro area in the Health Insurance Marketplace enrollment process.
- Conduct community outreach activities within designated service area.
- Keep immediate supervisor informed of activities and project timelines, including areas of concern and challenges, within areas of responsibility.
- Work cooperatively with the Kansas Marketplace Consortium and partner organizations in carrying out the activities of the project.
- Computer literate, able to navigate the internet, with good keyboarding skills
- Good attention to detail
- Able to explain basic concepts without recommending specific plans
- Friendly and non-judgmental about consumers and their situations
- Must maintain confidentiality and committed to protecting the consumer’s personal information
- Must successfully complete on-line CAC training (minimum 5 hours)
- Able to conduct outreach activities
- Able to provide face-to-face assistance with on-line and paper applications
- As a CAC the more one provides assistance, the more knowledge he or she will gain. There are a wide variety of household and income scenarios that make on-the-job learning a big part of the training. For that reason, it would be most helpful if a CAC can set aside at least six hours per week for this work
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus, but not required
Other: This is a seasonal, three-month position with both full-time and part-time schedules available.