Job Alert: Seeking Tobacco Project Manager
Job Alert! Our friends at the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City have a Tobacco Project Manager position currently available. Applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Jessica Hembree via email. Jessica's contact information is available in the PDF copy of the Tobacco Project Manager job description.
Tobacco Project Manager – Part-time Job Description
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Policy Officer EMPLOYEE CLASSIFICATION: Nonexempt – 20 hours/week [Limited Term]
The Tobacco Program Manager will be responsible for managing the foundation’s 3 – 7 year, $3 to $5 million investment to ensure achievement of measurable impact on youth initiation of tobacco and nicotine use in the Foundation’s service area according to the Foundation’s strategic plan. This associate will collaborate closely with relevant program, evaluation, advocacy, and communication associates. The Project Manager will be directly involved in the work in a hands-on way, including spending significant time researching the content area and promising strategies, convening relevant experts, engaging in the community, meeting with related groups, organizations, policy makers, service providers, grantees, experts, funders, and other partners. This position as outlined expires after three years of service, with the possibility for extension or reassignment.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with key associates within HCF to recommend a strategy for preventing nicotine initiation in the HCF service area that draws upon qualitative and quantitative data, tobacco experts, and community input. The strategy will set clear and achievable goals for the effort and a detailed plan for achieving that goal.
- Collaborating across the many domains of the Foundation’s work to ensure that the recommended strategy draws upon the lessons learned over HCF’s decade of grantmaking. This will require strong listening skills and diligence in ensuring that HCF’s safety net, mental health, healthy communities, advocacy, and communication associates are incorporated into the strategy development.
- Convening relevant partners and experts to ensure that the plan is well-formulated and enthusiastically supported. S/he will work in collaboration with community members, service providers, policy-makers, experts, funders, and others to develop and vet the strategy and implementation plan and ensure strong partnerships and buy-in.
- Developing a process that includes members of the targeted population and offers meaningful opportunities for their engagement and input into the development and implementation of the initiative.
- Implementing the plan, with due consideration for any strategic changes necessary to achieve the goals of this project. Implementation of the plan may require direct supervision of grants and contracts.
- Representing the foundation at local, regional and state levels.
- Building and maintaining expertise in preventing nicotine initiation and a reputation as an effective leader in the field.
- Participating as assigned on Foundation’s teams.
- Performing general Foundation support activities and carrying out special projects as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS and PERSONAL QUALITIES:
- An undergraduate degree is required, with an advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Must possess a career history of at least 5 years of experience, demonstrating a positive track record of upward mobility and success in collaborative work. While direct experience in healthcare and/or philanthropy is not a requirement, candidates must possess a solid understanding of public health, particularly as it relates to vulnerable populations, as well as foundation operations.
- A recognized, respected professional in the tobacco prevention field or on a path to becoming one; a thought-leader; deeply knowledgeable about interventions, programs, policies, and what drives success.
- Leadership background should include expertise in bringing together and authentically listening to diverse groups to attain common goals at the organizational, community or regional level. In particular, strong facilitation skills will be necessary to capture the voices of HCF’s many community partners. This professional must be equally comfortable working with public health professionals as youth, nonprofessionals, and members of the public who are the target population of this effort.
- A willingness to grow and change as this position evolves. This is HCF’s inaugural Project Manager and the exact duties of the position will evolve as the project develops. This position will demand flexibility and an ability to adapt to dynamic responsibilities over the course of the project.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and a track record of taking initiative.
- Excellent communication and people skills, particularly the ability to write clearly and succinctly and to make well-organized verbal presentations.
- Ability to exercise discretion and to maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
- Professional attitude and appearance appropriate to office standards and job responsibilities.
- Commitment to the foundation’s vision, mission, and values.
COMPENSATION The Tobacco Project Manager will be compensated at an hourly rate for 20 hours per week, on average. Hours worked per week will vary. The hourly compensation rate will be determined on an individual basis. The Tobacco Project Manager will not receive any benefits. Ordinary and necessary expenses incurred by the Project Manager on behalf of HCF in the course of performing work on the Project will be reimbursed per HCF’s policies.
HOW to APPLY Send an email including a cover letter, resume, and references to Jessica Hembree at the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City by viewing her contact information in the PDF version of the Project Manager Description.
. . . . .
As a downtown Kansas City, Kansas and community resource, Downtown Shareholders is pleased to share employment opportunities throughout Kansas City, Kan. If you’d like to submit an employment opportunity for inclusion on our website, please contact us.