Mayor’ s Office Health Projects Support, Healthy Communities Wyandotte
*** This position is funded through AmeriCorps VISTA, a national anti-poverty service program. There is no traditional pay, but participants receive a living allowance and limited benefits (see details below). The successful applicant will serve a one-year term in Wyandotte County, KS working to increase knowledge of healthy lifestyle behaviors. ***
DESCRIPTION Wyandotte County has a remarkable history that has attracted a highly diverse population to the community. Of approximately 162,000 residents, Wyandotte is one of only two counties in the country with both African American and Hispanic communities that comprise over 25% of the population (25% and 27% respectively). Wyandotte County faces a challenging economic climate, with 23% of residents living below poverty level, compared to 13% of residents statewide. The VISTA member assigned to the Mayor’s office will work directly on the Healthy Campus initiative, which is a project that will create a development of recreational and healthy food resources in Wyandotte County, to address the high rates of poor health indicators and the health. This is a multi-million-dollar project with multiple stakeholders; a VISTA will help recruit and communicate with funders through events, presentations and newly created communication tools. He or she will also help identify successful campus models in other cities, research national funding sources and grant programs and keep lists of potential donors. In addition to the Healthy Campus project, this VISTA will support community engagement and communications efforts for the office by helping manage the Mayor’s social media presence and developing strategies and content for different, county-wide constituencies.
- Assist the Communications Director by drafting content for Mayor’s social media platforms, creating a plan for growth and tracking audience reach
- Work directly with the Community Relations Director to build relationships with community stakeholders and develop communications tools for updating and receiving feedback from partners and the public at large
- Support a $5M+ fundraising campaign by researching philanthropic and donor histories and drafting grant proposals
- Attend community meetings to help build awareness around Mayor’s office initiatives
- Help coordinate logistics on various events and assist with administrative duties as needed
- Ability to work well as a team and with diverse partners and communities
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Commitment to improving community health throughout Wyandotte County
- Knowledge of public health and/or community health
- Knowledge of fundraising/grant writing
HOURS Full time. Some evenings and weekends required.
PAY & BENEFITS VISTA members do not get paid, but receive a modest, monthly living allowance to help cover basic necessities (roughly $900/month). VISTA members who successfully complete a term of service are also eligible to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 to pay for college or to pay off student loans, or an end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500. Additional benefits include training, limited health care benefits, relocation expenses, student loan forbearance or deferment and non-competitive eligibility for a federal government position. You may also be eligible for childcare assistance should you need it.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS Application deadline is September 30, 2016. Please send a resume and cover letter to Healthy Communities Wyandotte, ATTN: Alyssa Carodine, 619 Ann Ave., Kansas City, KS 66101 or by e-mail.