How to Report Streetlight Issues in KCK

BPU Streetlight HeaderStreetlights play an important role in Kansas City, Kansas.  They light our roads and sidewalks, plus they make it easier for us to see drivers and pedestrians.  While the Unified Government (UG) decides where streetlights are needed, the Kansas City Board of Public Utilities (BPU) is responsible for repairing nearly 19,000 streetlights and over 5,500 private area lights in our community. FOR STREETLIGHT REPAIRS Call BPU (913) 573-9522, anytime 24/7, to report streetlights in need of repair.  Simply provide the address, cross streets, or pole number along with a description of the problem.

NEW STREETLIGHTS 7 PRIVATE AREA LIGHTS The UG and BPU depend on community residents to report when new streetlights are needed or when they are in need of repairs.  To request a new streetlight call the UG at (913) 573-5700.  Private area lights for backyards, alleys, and parking lots can be requested from BPU at (913) 573-9190.

STREETLIGHT CALLBACK PROCESS BPU's service area is divided into seven zones, Streetlight repair and replacement times can vary for each zone.  To let residents know that their repair request is important and has been processed, BPU recently added a callback feature to their phone system.

Once BPU creates a work order for streetlight repair, you will receive a callback message letting you know the problem is being addressed.  Once repairs are scheduled, you will receive a second message with the approximate time of when repairs will be completed.

WHAT'S NEXT The UG and BPU are reviewing options to replace current streetlights with LED lights.  LED's use 40% less energy, improve visibility, and last longer.

BPU Streelight Phone Numbers

Share this information with your friends and neighbors by downloading the English PDF or Spanish PDF.